Maybe you or a loved one can’t eat foods that contain gluten, but that’s no reason to miss out on yummy snacks. It’s still possible to prepare gluten-free snacks that are nutrient-rich and delicious. Fortunately, these days supermarkets and bakeries are filled with delicious gluten-free treats, but you can save money and increase your selection of gluten-free snacks if you make your own gluten-free snacks from scratch. Here are some ideas and recipes for scrump-delicious gluten-free snacks:
- Fresh fruit–apples, oranges, strawberries, grapes, peaches, pears, bananas, apricots, cantaloupe, dates and fruit kabobs
- Water–Stay hydrated!
- Frogs on a log — celery stalks filled with cream cheese and jalapeno pepper slices or green olives with pimentos
- Yogurt with fresh fruit
- Nuts–peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios
- Fresh vegetables–celery, carrots, olives, radishes, broccoli florets and cauliflower
- Hormel gluten-free pepperoni
- Juice popsicles
- Homemade soup
- Smoked salmon on gluten-free rice crackers
- Fruit snacks
- Avocado toast made with 1/2 avocado and 1 slice gluten-free bread or pita bread. Mash the avocado and spread on the bread.
- Hummus and gluten-free rice chips
Deviled Eggs with Guacamole
- 6 large eggs
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup guacamole (recipe below)
To cook the eggs: Set the eggs in an empty saucepan. Add water. Boil. Turn off heat. Wait 17 minutes. Drain. Pour cold water over eggs until the eggs are completely cooled.
Remove egg shells. Cut each egg in half. Eat or discard yolks. Fill each egg shell half with 2 teaspoons guacamole (recipe below).
For the guacamole, you can purchase it pre-made at your local supermarket or make your own. Here’s a recipe:
- 1 ripe Haas avocado, peeled, pitted, and halved
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 medium onion, sliced
- 1/4 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 Roma tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
Toss the scooped avocado pulp and lime juice in a bowl. Add the other ingredients and mash with a potato masher.
Fresh Fruit Smoothie Prep time: 10 minutes Serves: 8
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 cup organic yogurt
- 2 cups strawberries, tops trimmed
- 2 cup grapes
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 4 tablespoons sunflower seed butter
Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
Open-Faced Basil Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Tomatoes Prep time: 10 minutes Serves: 4
- 4 slices gluten-free bread
- 4 tablespoons basil
- 4 slices cheese
- 4 slices tomato
Spread 1 tablespoon basil, a cheese slice, and one tomato slice on each slice bread. Broil for 5 minutes until the cheese is melted.